 Trains / 17624
Re: shroud for train motor wheels
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 10 Sep 2002 21:29:30 GMT

Great work guys!

The work and discovery by Jeremy, Dave, and Steve shown below inspired me to
try a similar shroud for non-motorized 9v train wheels.  As 9v volt wheel
housings are exactly 6 studs wide, the edge-to-edge solution shown below is
wider than 6 studs by 2 times the thickness of a thin-wall panel.  I can't
think of a more narrow solution, except if one removes the wheel housing.

When the gallery is approved:

Deep Links to individual instruction steps:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/jamathis/Trains/TrainsOther/WheelCowling/v1/a_trolley8.gif

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/jamathis/Trains/TrainsOther/WheelCowling/v1/trolley1.gif

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/jamathis/Trains/TrainsOther/WheelCowling/v1/trolley2.gif

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/jamathis/Trains/TrainsOther/WheelCowling/v1/trolley3.gif

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/jamathis/Trains/TrainsOther/WheelCowling/v1/trolley4.gif

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/jamathis/Trains/TrainsOther/WheelCowling/v1/trolley5.gif

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/jamathis/Trains/TrainsOther/WheelCowling/v1/trolley6.gif

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/jamathis/Trains/TrainsOther/WheelCowling/v1/trolley7.gif

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/jamathis/Trains/TrainsOther/WheelCowling/v1/trolley8.gif

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/jamathis/Trains/TrainsOther/WheelCowling/v1/trolley_v1_wheels_side.gif

later,
James Mathis

In lugnet.trains, Steven Barile writes:
Hi All,
Jeremy Rear, Dave VinZant and I where trying to figure out how to cover up
the side of a train motor for our street cars and trollies and I think we
got something. There are still a couple issues with interfering with the
wheels when the 1x2x3 panels are connected at both ends. Both Jeremey and I
have impemented versions that aren't pined at both ends and it works fine.

Here's a rendering of an exploded version...
then together...

Jeremy uploaded some shots of his Portland Street with this implemented at...

And I have a couple shots of my upgraded Portland lightrail MAX at...
Well that will have to wait for a couple days the pics are at work :(

SteveB