 Trains / 17336
    Streamlining (was Re: New MOC: Dark Red LMS 4F 0-6-0 Freight Locomotive) —Frank Filz
   (...) I'm not sure that lack of streamlining in US locomotives is due to lack of emission controls. I suspect it's far more because trains aren't operated at speeds which require it. Note that the Amtrack locomotives are reasonably streamlined (...) (22 years ago, 19-Aug-02, to lugnet.trains)

        Re: Streamlining (was Re: New MOC: Dark Red LMS 4F 0-6-0 Freight Locomotive) —Jason J. Railton
     (...) I didn't know that - it's surprising actually, given the distances over which freight can be hauled in the US. I know the trains can be extremely long, and it's an old movie cliché for escaped convicts with their legs chained together to still (...) (22 years ago, 19-Aug-02, to lugnet.trains)

         Re: Streamlining (was Re: New MOC: Dark Red LMS 4F 0-6-0 Freight Locomotive) —Larry Pieniazek
     (...) Right. At 70 MPH, (a typical top speed for a fast freight such as TOFC or doublestacks that are on a manifest or symbol freight) in the US, and at typical horsepower to weight ratios, the drag from the doublestacks or trailers far exeeds the (...) (22 years ago, 20-Aug-02, to lugnet.trains)

        Re: Streamlining (was Re: New MOC: Dark Red LMS 4F 0-6-0 Freight Locomotive) —Dan Voelkerding
   (...) Streamlining was used b/c of the Pionner Zephyr. Then streamlining was put on PRR K4 3768 and turned out to be a flashy locomotive. Other railroads did the same but they found that it tampered with maintence, which was more important then (...) (22 years ago, 19-Aug-02, to lugnet.trains)