 Trains / 17209
Re: Just couldn't resist posting this one...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 9 Aug 2002 16:20:41 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Harvey Henkelman writes:
Take a look at when a 75-car freight train and 8000+ gallons of diesel fuel
meet at a crossing...

http://www.firehouse.com/hotshots/photostories/2002/8/6_ia.html
-Harvey

There was a similar accident many years ago involving a truck full of fuel
and a train colliding. Unfortunately it was during rush hour on a busy
boulevard. There were many fatalities. The engineer survived. The train was
going fast enough to carry it through the fire. The tanker was left behind.
I remember the description of one victim in particular. The story stated
that his body was found, still in an upright position behind the steering
wheel and still holding the book he had been reading. I'll see if I can find
any references to this story.

I live in Atlanta where there are many grade-level crossings. Atlanta after
all started merely as the intersection of two railroads. I'm always aware of
what's going on when I have to stop at a crossing, ready to get the heck out
of there in an emergency.