 Trains / 17090
  Re: Now what?

Nice thought. When you examine what LEGO has been putting out recently in its train line what do you see? My eyes see this wonderful thing called variety. You've got Metroliner, Santa Fe (and cars for it!), the small and large train engines with (...) (22 years ago, 2-Aug-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Now what?

(...) Bear in mind that an awful lot of Lego train enthusiasts look at these and think "Metroliner -> Amtrak -> American. Big red caboose -> American. Santa Fe -> American. Silver carriages -> American. When are we going to see some variety?" (or (...) (22 years ago, 2-Aug-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Now what?

(...) Well, I guess to Europeans, the trains of the past have been bland and generic (though there have been less generic models like the Crocodile). To Americans (including Canadians), the trains have had a distinctly European flavor. I agree (...) (22 years ago, 2-Aug-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Now what?

"Frank Filz" <ffilz@mindspring.com> wrote in message news:H087EE.5yI@lugnet.com... (...) The shift from the old 9v models being loosely based on European prototypes to the new ones being based on US prototypes is I believe due to the fact that LD (...) (22 years ago, 2-Aug-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Now what?

Hello Jason, (...) With the exception of the Metroliner, this is exactly why I don't own any of these sets. I have to admit I am tempted to get some of them just for parts, because they do have really cool parts. But I am more into 12V anyway, even (...) (22 years ago, 2-Aug-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Now what?

(...) A great way for TLC to get their foot in the door WRT to European trains would be to get a licensing agreement with Britt Allcroft and produce some Thomas trains. Since they are all based upon prototypes anyway, I would think that we'd all (...) (22 years ago, 2-Aug-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Now what?

(...) well, color me confused, don't we already have all that in 4563 and 4564? Just dust those off and reissue them (in different colors perhaps)! (...) But ya, everyone needs a Thomas. (...) (22 years ago, 2-Aug-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Now what?

I would love to see an Orient Express! But seriously, the "Americanization" of the trains has got me as well. A revised 7745 TGV (fell in love when I first saw it in '85) using more current parts or something really new as an ICE would certainly (...) (22 years ago, 2-Aug-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Now what?

(...) I think the 4561 still serves a purpose as an entry level set. It's the only train set that you can get and run right out of the box. So I think it will stay around. jt (22 years ago, 2-Aug-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Now what?

(...) The other night I was looking through a curent Marklin catalog and something occured to me...the shape of the front/rear ends of current Euro freight engines is just about identical to the shape of the canopy on Jango Fett's ship, all it (...) (22 years ago, 3-Aug-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Now what?

"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message news:H08J4H.oG@lugnet.com... (...) That's exactly what I want to see, yes we *did* have them, but no more... Huw (22 years ago, 3-Aug-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Now what?

(...) <snip> (...) I'm also missing the possibility to tap-off current from the train wheels. When this is possible, then we can add lights (LED's)in our passenger / freight cars. Just thinking on the red light that you find back on the last freight (...) (22 years ago, 3-Aug-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Now what?

(...) Tell you what Larry, I'll colour you bright red, yellow and blue and see if that helps clear things up! :-) I guess these have all looked European in the past. The "DB" stickers didn't help matters. Being British though, they look as foreign (...) (22 years ago, 3-Aug-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Now what?

(...) 4563 : loco doesn't look much German/Dutch to me... maybe French, but then the colors wouldn't be right. The red closed freight car is OK-ish, the rest is pretty much simplified 4564 : loco is pretty decent, bit like the MaK diesel range. (...) (22 years ago, 4-Aug-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Now what?

(...) OK, OK... you guys convinced me. The stuff I perceive as european is no more authentic (to european prototypes) than the stuff you perceive as american is (authentic to american prototypes, that is). But parts is parts. We. are. not. the. (...) (22 years ago, 4-Aug-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Now what?

(...) Like I posted before in various threads I agree we are not the target market. Maybe if you have the finances to buy tons of sets just to get a few parts you need you can build whatever you like, most of us probably can't. And even then, some (...) (22 years ago, 4-Aug-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)