 Trains / 16620
16619  |  16621
Subject:
Some questions about hoppers from a train newbie
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 5 Jun 2002 12:35:38 GMT

I went for a bike ride last weekend in a town that had a railroad.  There were
a bunch of hoppers lined up by the road at one point, so I took some pics.  I
hope to model a hooper in LEGO, but I have some general questions about how
they work first.

**
My main question is how do they discharge?  See this pic:

http://www.appstate.edu/~main/hopper/undercarriage.jpg

It looks like both flaps open up and whatever is in the hopper falls right
underneath it.  Do they have to discharge over a special section of elevated
track then to keep the contents from just dumping on the track below?  Also,
how do the flaps actually open?  It looks like the "v" shaped bracket would
prevent the flaps from opening.
**

**
In this next, shot, you can see the ladders and a wheel:

http://www.appstate.edu/~main/hopper/ladder.jpg

Am I correct in assuming that the wheel is a type of brake?  It seems to attach
via chains and rods to the wheelsets.  If not a brake, what is it?  and does it
have to be manually turned to apply the braking force?  Also, are these hoppers
open on top?  (I assume they are)
**

**
I am also curious about the markings on the hopper:

http://www.appstate.edu/~main/hopper/markings.jpg

Particularly the ET and EX 38/36 markings.  And what does LT WT mean?
**

**
Now, I know that people REALLY get into trains...but what does this mean?

http://www.appstate.edu/~main/hopper/hump.jpg

Specifically, what is "humping?"
**

**
That's it for my questions.  Here are some more shots of the hopper if you
would like to try modeling one too:

http://www.appstate.edu/~main/hopper/end.jpg
http://www.appstate.edu/~main/hopper/fulllength.jpg
http://www.appstate.edu/~main/hopper/row.jpg
http://www.appstate.edu/~main/hopper/several.jpg

Thanks for helping a train newbie out.  There's a lot to learn about trains, it
seems.
**

--
Thomas Main