 Trains / 1636
Re: Help request regarding alternative programming systems
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 19 Jul 1999 19:52:54 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx, Ben Fleskes writes:

Allow me to request a little help from all the rcx experts out there.

I've purchased Mindstorms set and the infrared remote control.  As near as I
can tell, I can not do what I want with the mindstorms software, so I'm hoping
one of the alternative programming environments will do what I need.

I've reviewed the information at the Lego-Robotics Wiki site regarding new
programming platforms and found it rather overwhelming.

Perhaps someone can help me.  Here is what I'm trying to do:

Hook the three outputs on the rcx to three seperate trains,A, B and C.

Use the inputs (buttons 1, 2 and 3) from the infrared remote control to do the
following:

button 1) increase speed of train X one notch.
button 2) decrease speed of train X one notch.
button 3) select train X as either A, B or C.  Defaults to A, press button 1
to control train B, select again to control train C, press again to control
train A, etc.
stop button: stop all trains.

I know I'll need to set variables for the speed of each train.  I've worked
with BASIC, Pascal and C before.  So I should be able to figure out most
programming environments, but I simply do not know which one to start with.

Can someone please recommend some software that would do what I'm trying to
do.  I'll be more then happy to share the code once I have it done.

Thanks a bunch.

Ben Fleskes
PNLTC

Check out Dave Baum's NQC (Not Quite C).  This is your best bet, IMHO.  NQC
doesn't get around the significant limitations of the RCX firmware, but it
should easily be able to handle the application that you describe.

   http://www.enteract.com/~dbaum/lego/nqc/index.html

If you are running a Windows machine, then you should download Mark Overmars
RCX Command Center, which is a nice GUI front-end for NQC.  (The download
includes a copy of NQC, so you shouldn't need to download both.)

   http://www.cs.uu.nl/people/markov/lego/

Also, anyone using the RCX should check out the Lego Mindstorms Internals web
site: