 Trains / 15229
    Re: Metroliner question —William R. Ward
   (...) Well, the electric buses in San Francisco share one of their wires with the historic trolleys along Market St. I'm pretty sure the trolleys are D/C, or the tracks would represent a shock hazard, yes? --Bill. (22 years ago, 22-Feb-02, to lugnet.trains)

        Re: Metroliner question —Rob Hendrix
   You may be correct, as I really have never seen or studied the systems of which we are referring. My aspects were only mere assumption. I base my hypothesis on a bit of history from the Edison era. In his thriving days of supplying power to the (...) (22 years ago, 22-Feb-02, to lugnet.trains)

        Re: Metroliner question —Scott Arthur
   (...) High School Physics: To get the same efficiency from DC, we'd literally need a power station in every district of a city/town. Despite that, AC power distribution is High Voltage/Low Current (was DC the same?) as this ensures low power losses (...) (22 years ago, 22-Feb-02, to lugnet.trains)

        Re: Metroliner question —James Powell
   (...) in part true. Mostly because of transformers rasing voltage/reducing amps for same HP/wattage. (that's why long distance power cables are at 500 KV or even 750 KV, because it allows low amp power supply of massive amounts of power-the amps (...) (22 years ago, 23-Feb-02, to lugnet.trains)