 Trains / 15229
  Re: Metroliner question

(...) Well, the electric buses in San Francisco share one of their wires with the historic trolleys along Market St. I'm pretty sure the trolleys are D/C, or the tracks would represent a shock hazard, yes? --Bill. (22 years ago, 22-Feb-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Metroliner question

You may be correct, as I really have never seen or studied the systems of which we are referring. My aspects were only mere assumption. I base my hypothesis on a bit of history from the Edison era. In his thriving days of supplying power to the (...) (22 years ago, 22-Feb-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Metroliner question

(...) High School Physics: To get the same efficiency from DC, we'd literally need a power station in every district of a city/town. Despite that, AC power distribution is High Voltage/Low Current (was DC the same?) as this ensures low power losses (...) (22 years ago, 22-Feb-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Metroliner question

(...) in part true. Mostly because of transformers rasing voltage/reducing amps for same HP/wattage. (that's why long distance power cables are at 500 KV or even 750 KV, because it allows low amp power supply of massive amounts of power-the amps (...) (22 years ago, 23-Feb-02, to lugnet.trains)