 Trains / 14460
Re: 12 v. "conversion" to 9v. questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 8 Jan 2002 05:02:26 GMT

Mario wrote:

Greetings,

I have a question for those far more knowledgeable and experienced in LEGO
trains on which I would greatly appreciate feedback. I recently became the
happy owner of a 7740 in very good condition but I intend to run it on a 9v
system (which is all that I have). Any tips/ideas on making the conversion
of the engine and the wagons? After a few runs it seems to be in need of two
motors. Should I put both in the front or have one in the front car and one
in the rear car? It looks like the newer wheels rolls more smoothly and
easily than the old "12v" ones. Others have the same observation or is it a
matter of oiling the older wheels? How about the weights that come with
older sets. I assume this was to ensure contact with the track. Are they
still a good idea to include in the buildup or do they add unnecessary
weight? Other comments/observations/ideas from those that have made the
switch are greatly welcome as I plan on acquiring more of these older sets
as they (and $$) become available.

7740 is definitely an easy set to convert to 9v. I suggest two motors in
the engine, and go ahead and replace the trucks on the cars with 9v
wheels, they will go with the 9v motors better and definitely roll
better. You may find you only need one motor with 9v wheels used
elsewhere. I haven't started putting weights in my 9v engines yet, but I
suspect they will help pull longer trains and run up inclines better. If
well placed they should also reduce derailments.

You may also want to consider getting yourself some 12v track just for
the fun of it. If you bid carefully it can be had for a modest cost,
especially if you are willing to use the blue track (someone just won a
pair of blue remote points for $4.99 [of course they would have gone for
over $40 had I decided to bid, but every once in a while I'm a nice guy
:-)]).

If you decide to stay purely 9v, you may want to consider selling your
12v motor. I have seen them go for $30 and up on eBay. Of course if you
ever want to sell your 7740 down the road, that would be a problem.

Frank