 Trains / 14221
Re: Repair of Blue 12v remote points
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 10 Dec 2001 19:21:27 GMT

I have repaired mine some time ago, and the tips from my side is:

Do notice that it requies a 3 wire control! 2 wires aren't just enough!
My problem were the toothwheels, note that you set them just right! One coil
was broken, I had to loose a few wires to get it to work.

I uses 12V DC for my works fine. See my pages for more info
http://www.hot.ee/sonnich/lego/  (look for Baltic Train event under Gallery)

Sonnich

Frank Filz <ffilz@mindspring.com> wrote in message
Does anyone have any tips for repair of blue 12v remote points? I got an
auction lot recently with 5 points, but most aren't working well. One is
definitely missing parts, some of the others will activate ok in the
direction which the rod pulls the point. I've tried a variety of
fiddling around but if anyone has any specific tips I'd love to hear
them.

It's interesting that the blue remote points use an AC solenoid while
the grey remote points use a DC solenoid. I am most familiar with AC
solenoids from model railroading. The construction of the blue solenoid
is interesting, including a fancy arrangement which disconnects the
solenoid from power once it has activated, thus preventing overheating
and burnout of the coil.

I may try and move some of the components over to some very defunct blue
remote points I got some time ago (only one even had a coil any more,
most of the rest of the innards are completely gone) since the
conducting rails on the points in this lot are pretty rusted. The tricky
part will be the fine soldering necessary.

Frank