 Trains / 14137
Re: Minifig Railroad Lantern!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 3 Dec 2001 11:34:57 GMT

Josh Baakko wrote:

In lugnet.trains, Dean Husby writes:
<snip>

Is the track piece you used here
modified in anyway? I didn't think that that configuration would
actually work?

Dean

Exactly what piece?  I haven't got around so starting it yet:-(.  But I
should redo the view.  I've decided on another plan.
Josh

Physically, you can connect track any way you want. So the physical
configuration is fine. But I believe he means: "Does it work
electrically?" The answer to that is no. And yes.

Call the left hand spurs A and B (A is upper). Right-hand spurs are C and
D. The upper switch is #1 and the lower is #2.

If you connect your power lead to A, you can get power only to A, C, and D
(D only when switch #2 is thrown toward A).

Power lead connected to B gives you B and D only.

Power lead to C gives you A only when switch #1 is thrown toward C, plus
power to C (of course).

Power lead to D gives you A when switch #2 is thrown toward A, B when
switch #2 is thrown to B, and D.

Now, there are two ways to make these problems go away. The first is to
simply connect two leads: One to A and one to D. The second way is to
create a loop of track connecting A and D. Either way, you get full power
to all lines (when the appropriate switches are thrown).

Alternately, you could connect A and B, but if #1 is thrown toward C and
#2 is thrown toward A, you will lose power to D. This is a problem if the
train is entering from D, trying to get to A. If A and D were connected,
it would work, and the train could go through #1 even though it is set the
wrong way. So it's less hassle connecting A and D. Similar problems are
created by connecting C and D.

Now, in more traditional model railroad layouts, fully powered switches
are available, and you could create powered switches here by modifying the
switches with a soldering iron and some wire. But to my way of thinking,
there's no need.

And of course, as a final point, since this is for a diorama, it does not
actually need to work electrically. In this case, please disregard this
message... ;-)

Is that enough of a mountain out of a molehill?

Rick Clark