 Trains / 13007
    Re: Question for model RR gurus —Frank Filz
   (...) I think there are a few reasons. One thing is that while in many places in real life, everything is manual, in other places it isn't. Mailine turnouts these days are probably remotely controlled (that's what an interlocking tower does for one (...) (23 years ago, 18-Aug-01, to lugnet.trains)

        Re: Question for model RR gurus —Larry Pieniazek
   (...) That's what an interlocking tower USED to do. Nowadays they are getting rare. With CTC (Centralised Traffic Control) an entire division or more can be controlled from far far away. Umpteen thousand miles of the Union Pacific are all controlled (...) (23 years ago, 19-Aug-01, to lugnet.trains)

        Re: Question for model RR gurus —Frank Filz
   (...) The trolley busses in Boston use a reversing loop also (the bus station in Harvard Square is interesting, it's underground, in two levels (arrivals and departures)). The green line uses reversing loops for the trolley portion (recall what I've (...) (23 years ago, 19-Aug-01, to lugnet.trains)