 Trains / 1269
Re: Train Windows service packs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 24 May 1999 20:53:56 GMT

Mike Poindexter wrote:

Also, the lady I spoke with said that nobody has ever done a letter • campaign.
Well, I guess we will have to change that.  I am posting my letter to the
following url:

http://www.thesocket.com/~mpndxtr/LEGO/USTrain.doc

Let me know what you think...

Not a bad start. But I have to reiterate a few things. Your letter is
not color specific. On reflection I agree with the color priority list
but would rank them in THIS priority

grey, white, red, blue, yellow,, black

As we have not yet reached a consensus on color yet, I have left it out.  It
will be in the final version of the letter.  I personally would agree with
your list except to place black before yellow and maybe even blue, as I have
an immediate need for 10 black train windows and no need for blue or yellow.

Secondly, I think asking for one pack that has many colors is better.
They are not going to make 6 packs, let's face it. I realise that the
pack when it has the quantities I named off in all 6 colors will be a 25
dollar pack. That's fine.

Although I also would agree with you, I must rain on the parade.  They will
not produce a service pack with that many individual elements in it, IMHO.  If
you look at the other packs, count the number of different items (each element
in each individual color) and I don't think it will add up that high.  Suppose
we had train windows in the 5 major colors, plus green and gray.  That
increases the part count by 6 for big train windows, 6 for small and 6 for
airplane.  That adds 18 extra machines for bagging.  This increases their
costs and would then run down profitability.  At most, you could probably
split it into 2 colors and up the doors to 2 sets, one of each color.

What I would also propose is a second option.  Option #1 would be the first
set mentioned in the letter available in 2 or 3 colors.  Option #2 would be a
bigger pack that has a bunch of colors in it - say 2 large and 1 small train
and 1 airplane of 6 colors of windows and maybe 3 sets of doors.  I do think
that this will give you more options, but the pack will look like a mess and
will possibly not be done.

Thirdly I am strongly opposed to having some glass trans light blue and
some clear by window type. I would revise the list in the word doc to be
all clear, or all trans light blue, or even 1/2 and 1/2, but across all
types, not segregated by type. I want all my windows of whatever size,
to have the same glass color. Go look at prototype trains sometime, it
is unprototypical to have only some windows tinted.

Correct.  I was mainly thinking of the plane windows for planes and autos.  I
would rather have trans. lt. blue on them, but I could deal with them in clear
easier than train windows in trans. lt. blue.  I can change it - no problem.
Is this what everyone else wants?

Fourthly, I forgot about STICKERS! I want some stickers to make windows
frosted, and I want some striping stickers that are the correct length
for the doors in wide and narrow stripes so I can make a red/white/blue
door if I want to, and so forth.

Larry, I think you are starting to fall victim to losing focus here.  Sure,
stickers are nice, but the striping stickers are not hard to make - if you can
break past Lego Purity, which, ironically, has the same initials you do.
Coincidence?  I think not!

For all we know, they may decide that to save money or streamline production,
they make all glass preprinted with whatever on it, just like those new
windows with POLICE permanently printed on them.  It would be a dream gone bad.

A final note:  I found a piece I would LOVE to have more of and it would look
great on a train (from a freestyle perspective - I am NOT a train buff) and it
is a 1x4x4 window with a corrugated snap cover.  I could not find a part
number for it but it is on the right side of the 5571 Big Rig Truck just below
the red train window.  I think it could be a great cover for a luggage
compartment.  (You do realize that if you reply that you have too many of
them, I will ask you for some, Larry...)

Mike