 Trains / 12519
Re: Train compatibility?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 23 Jul 2001 17:51:56 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Frank Filz writes:
Scott E. Sanburn wrote:

Dave & All,

I have a question for all you train folks:

Will the metroliner tracks be compatible with trains in the catalogs now?
Are the the same voltage?  I want to get the metroliner, but it might be a
pain to have two different kinds of track.

I don't see it as being different at all, it is still 9V track, and all
those new cars are 9V compatible too. The Metroliner started the 9V! : )

LEGO trains have a high degree of compatibility. The only real source of
incompatibility is the electrical items. This means for example that 9V
and 12V track and motors are incompatible, and neither will run on 4.5V
track (though 4.5V and "push" trains can run on any track, and 4.5V and
12V share the same straight and curved rails but can't share points and
crossings). The newer 12V motor is mostly replaceable with a 9V motor
(you just can't use the 3rd set of wheels - though I did discover that
the 3rd set of wheels will actually fit onto a 9V motor). Any engine
which uses a 4.5V motor or the older 12V motor (same housing as a 4.5V
motor) can be re-built using a newer 12V motor or a 9V motor, but the
opposite is not usually true. A minor incompatibility may arise with the
older 4 axle engines (which use a 4.5V or older 12V motor) since they
have 2 sets of wheels which swivel at the ends with the center 4 wheels
fixed. Older 4.5V/12V level crossings won't work with 9V track. I think
the coupler height is pretty much the same (at least close enough to not
cause problems).
There is a very slight difference in the overall diameter of the 4.5V wheels
versus the 9V wheels.-Harvey