 Trains / 12176
12175  |  12177
Subject:
Fuel Tank / Barbette
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.build, lugnet.org.us.michlug
Date:
Sun, 8 Jul 2001 20:12:06 GMT

   Hi everyone,

   I recall someone on .trains or .michlug oy veying over the
   problems in building decently "round" fuel tanks.  I've been
   working on my latest ship, which includes a raised barbette
   facing aft, and I think I may have stumbled on a SNOT solution:

   http://www.msu.edu/user/braunli1/xbarbette.jpg

   It's a lousy picture, but hopefully the structural elements
   will be clear.  It's not really a useful method for any
   structure less than, say, 10 studs in diameter (you'd have
   to eliminate the ex-low-slopes to do that), but it's great
   if you want to build cylinders 16 studs wide or larger,
   anywhere from 1 2/3 to "n" studs high (in multiples of 1 2/3).

   The ship's P and Q barbettes are recessed partway into the
   hull, and have a 40%-diameter arc slice exposed.  I used
   the same method to produce those (but I don't have any pics
   yet).  They're affixed, of course, by the 2x4x2 multi-side-
   studded (or anti-studded, either will work) bricks, though
   you could no doubt use the new 1x4x1 bricks with studs on
   top and one side just as well.

   I hope someone finds this useful!

   best,

   LFB