 Trains / 12149
12148  |  12150
Subject:
plywood train tables
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 6 Jul 2001 17:48:39 GMT

The first batch of modular train tables I made some years back have served
us (PNLTC) very well.

And over the years, I've gotton feedback and suggestions from a lot of
people along with a wealth of direct experience using them over and over again.

Over the last couple of days, I've built two new tables and I must say I've
changed a few things based on our years of experience and suggestions:

1)  All the wood is 1/2" shop grade birch plywood.  This is a high grade
plywood with a birch veneer on both sides and runs about $40/sheet.  Thus
the top is 1/2" thick, and the sides are made of strips of 1/2" plywood 1.5"
wide (instead of 1 x 2 wood).  This might not work as well if you plan on
screwing them together because of the narrow width, but if you have a
pnuematic nailer - not a problem.  If you are concerned about price, lower
grade 1/2" plywood can generally be found for $20 - $25/sheet.

2) No more built up wood legs.  Folding metal banquet legs are the way to
go.  $16/pair at home depot or Fred Meyer.  Where the legs are screwed to
the tabletop, there is an additional piece of 1/2" plywood making the total
thickness 1" and the total height 30".  This may vary depending on the
height of the legs you buy.

3) For some silly reason, my original drawings place the bolt holes at 3/4"
from the bottom the the top piece of 3/8" plywood.  This dimension should be
from the top and should be 1 1/8" inches.  This last point causes just one
possible problem.  If you run the extra piece of 1/2" plywood to support the
legs all the way to the side, you may not be able to use some of the bolt
holes in the side as a result.

Finally, I like modules 30.25" x 60.5".  If you want to make them a
different size, go ahead.  The plan is easy to adapt to different sizes.

I plan to revise the drawings for the tables in the coming months and place
updated version on the PNLTC webpage.

Thanks for everyone's contributions.

Ben Fleskes
PNLTC