 Trains / 1194
Re: Is it too late for a new comer?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 10 May 1999 23:22:46 GMT

Hi !

Glad to see another train fan come on board! (no pun intended)  ;-)

Passenger and commuter trains are harder to realistically produce without those
special pieces, like windows and doors.  Have you thought about freight trains?
They are much easier to make with more 'standard' pieces.  I have some Lego train
pictures on my site to show you what I mean.

http://userweb.springnet1.com/jdavenp/train.html

Hope you enjoy your Metroliner.  I had done the same thing you had, but after I
got it, I liked it so much I got another one to make it longer!

Joe

Hao-yang Wang wrote:

Like so many others, Mindstorms brought me out of my dark age, and soon my
interest has grown beyond Technic.

Recently I bought a set of Metro Liner from ebay. Frankly when I learned that
I won the bid my feeling was mixed, for the set was pricey and after I placed
my bid I got a cheaper offer somewhere else for a used one. (If I am going to
open up the box and build it why should I pay the premium for an unopened
set?) However soon after I received the box I forgot how much I paid
completely. Now I don't care if I had bid too much. This set really opens a
new world for me.

Metro Liner looks realistic. However, it achieves such realism through a bunch
of special pieces. When I read the messages posted in this newsgroup, they
always mentioned about train heads, train doors, train windows, etc., etc.
This makes me wonder: to build realistic looking trains, like all the cool
ones on your web sites, do I need all the train-specific special parts, in
proper colors?

Or I just have to buy a bunch of 3225 from S@H, then happily off I go?

Compared with trains, the Lego trucks are made with more general parts. They
may not be so realistic. (You cannot tell whether it is a Kenworth or an
International, say.) Still, they each has its own individuality.

I live in the (San Francisco) Bay Area, so I like to build the Lego model of
our local two-story commuter train, CalTrain. However, I cannot afford to buy
a couple of the Club Car just to get the parts I need. (For some reason, a
Club Car each now costs almost as much as Metro Liner, if not more.) What
parts does it take to build a good approximation of CalTrain? (In the sense
that a mini-fig scale Lego truck is a good approximation of a real truck.)

Outside of the trains themselves, I think I can build the crossing out of the
normal Technic parts, and the train station is just another building, which
can be built with the normal Lego bricks.

Hao-yang Wang