 Trains / 11756
Re: Strength in Flat cars?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 19 Jun 2001 04:27:06 GMT

Jake McKee wrote:

All,

I am curious how everyone has been able to add strength to flat cars and
cars without alot of upright support. How do you avoid the weak middle and
bowing?

Thanks!
Jake

---
Jake McKee
AFOL
LUGNET Member #211

Hi,

  I have two different flat cars. One design has a beam that runs down the
center. The car is two plates thick, and the beam is one brick and 1 plate tall
(in addition to the 2 plates of flat car). My other design has beams that run
down the sides of the car. The ends of the car are two plates thick, and the
center of the car this 5 plates thick.
  There is a picture of my center beam flat bed on my page (the gray one), but
there isn't a picture of the side beam car yet. The red flat bed that is on my
page has been dismantled (I used the parts to make a set of well cars).
  The other important detail is that your have to use long plates and make them
overlap a lot.

Chris
--
See some of my LEGO creations at http://cmasi.chem.tulane.edu/~lego/