 Trains / 11695
Re: ICE and ICE-Type design study
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 14 Jun 2001 02:51:41 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Josh Baakko writes:
In lugnet.trains, James Mathis writes:

My LEGO ICE version 0 design study:

Looking good...
Josh

Thanks, but I dunno.  I look at it and just really don't know.  I'm really
unsure whether or not I could stand the 1x1 cylinders on the nose.  I'm
really feeling the limitation of MLCad- or at least my own skills of
rotation and alignment in MLCad- to be sure that the hinged and bending bits
around the Mars window would work in real life.

Is there a way to have MLCad tell you:
- if two adjacent parts are interfering with one another
- if two adjacent parts are merged unrealistically into one another
- can MLCad snap new parts to the stud of an existing part in the model?
      ie, once I've rotated a model some angle, say 7.5 degrees about the
y-axis (this is smaller than the typical movement resolution box selectable
on the tool-bar), can I then have the next inserted piece get
"snapped-to-stud" even if it is not the same length of studs?
   Maybe there is a way to move parts about the windows at a higher
resolution than the highest res tool-bar button without having to manually
type in the move distance via the "move" dialog box with the x, y, z coords?

Enough about Cad stuff!
What I'd really love is to see someone else take on this design possibility!
I've been hoping to see an ICE-3 for some time.  This is my stab at it, but
I bet there's a German Maniac ready to do better!! I hope so.

This Mars cockpit window just seems the right piece for this ICE-3 and maybe
even a EuroStar Chunnel set.??

later,
James Mathis