 Trains / 11558
Re: Auto Crossing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 6 Jun 2001 02:47:10 GMT

Hi guys,
I want to know if it is possible to make a magnetic field sensor, for an
automatic level crossing. If you know how, please send me info (diagrams
would be great), because I hate having to dive at the switch every time a
train comes near.
Cheers.
The simplest way is to use a reed switch under the track to pick up
the magnetic couplers. I haven't tried this method but it shouldn't
give you any problems. Reed switches are a little hard to come by
though (in my recent experience).

The method I've used with good success is an infra-red
transmitter-receiver pair. They ususally come in one case, although
you could use separate ones. Place it under the track, pointing upward
to reflect light off the bottom of the cars. These are easier to find.
If you can't get one at Radio Shack, go to your local used computer
store and buy a dead printer or mouse. There's at least two pairs in
each. In these cases, the pairs are usually oriented toward one
another instead of upward. If that's the case, crack the thin plastic
plate that holds them together and orient the two halves upward.

Matthias Jetleb
VA3-MWJ

P.S. One of my applications for this was to mount a sensor on a flat
car, pointing down (HO scale railroad, BTW, not Lego) so that I could
compute how fast a train was going (by measuring how quickly the rail
ties were passing underneath - same principal as what you are trying
to do, only backwards)