 Town / 9964
9963  |  9965
Subject:
The Hawaii Theatre - a big MOC!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.town
Date:
Wed, 5 Dec 2007 21:59:48 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Hi all,

This past weekend LEAHI (The Lego Enthusiasts Association of Hawaii) put on a display at the state First Lego League competition. I built a large model of the Hawaii Theatre, a National Historic Landmark that opened in 1922. Here’s a teaser shot:

You can find more pictures at

MOCpages and BrickShelf

There are construction photos in a subfolder on BrickShelf.

This model made it to page 2 of the Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

Opened in 1922, the “Pride of the Pacific” was an active venue till the 1980s, when it was abandoned. It reopened in 1996 after a massive restoration, was recognized as the ‘Outstanding Historic Theatre in America’ in 2005 by the League of Historic American Theatres and, in 2006, was awarded an Honor Award by the National Trust for Historic Preservation. It is now listed on both the State and National Registers of Historic Places.

This MOC captures much of the architectural detail of the original. The front lower floor is built entirely with SNOT, mostly sideways. The arches are 14 studs wide making them complex to model. The marquee is lit from inside using the old 4.5V light system. The building can be split in two parts easily for transport. Not including the park (currently incomplete), this MOC is 112 studs wide and 64 studs deep.

Enjoy!

Roy