 Town / 99
98  |  100
Subject:
The Best Basic Sets (725/730)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town, lugnet.basic, lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 5 Oct 1999 22:25:00 GMT

[Cross-posting to lugnet.town becasue these are "town-based" basic sets]
[Cross-posting to lugnet.general becasue of general interest]
[Follow-ups to lugnet.basic becasue it needs some trafic :)]

First, a bit of background information...

A few days ago, I arrived back in Seattle after traveling to Baltimore to
visit my parents.  While there, I grabbed my childhood Lego collection.  I
became reinterested in Lego around January 1999.  Sicne then, I've been
anxiously waiting to my hands on those old Legos.

My parents would buy me Legos for any "present-giving" occation.  My heyday
was around 1985.  Only a few sets were purchased by me.  Those included:

Looking back on these sets, I give myself a pat on the back for being able to
pick out great sets.  These weren't the flashy "Airport" or "Police Station"
but were general-purpose building sets.  I would always break down the town
sets after a few weeks.

These two are excellent for doors, windows, and many other pieces good for
town buildings.  Both contain many rare (but very useful) pieces not found in
other sets.  Also both sets came with instruction books for many good house
models.

Here is a list of some rare pieces off the top of my head and some that make
the set very cool.

==730==

- 2x3x4 cabinet with door (unique?), and matching dresser, short cabinet
- 2x8 45-degree black slopes
- A complete collection of 45-degree roof pieces (inside/outside corners and
gable pices)
- 4x5 L and R white framed glass doors with matching 4x5 windows
- white barn doors

=725=

- Many red roof pieces, 45 and 30 degrees
- 2 white Lamp posts
- Trans-yellow minifig heads
- 2 top-curved side glass walls
- 8 white corner walls (the kind used in many castles)

And a lot more.  One interesting note is that both of these sets have girls
pictured on the front :)

I'm sure that if any of these sets sold today, they would be a hot seller.

Comments?

--
Asher