 Town / 8448
Re: Joe Vig Meets a Lady (A Little Risque)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build.vignette, lugnet.town
Date:
Tue, 23 Aug 2005 15:12:41 GMT

In lugnet.build.vignette, Nathan Wells wrote:
In lugnet.build.vignette, Stephen Bishop wrote:
This one is a little risque...

http://www.maj.com/gallery/Athos/Lego/Vignettes/ladyofthenight1.jpg

http://www.maj.com/gallery/Athos/Lego/Vignettes/ladyofthenight2.jpg

http://www.maj.com/gallery/Athos/Lego/Vignettes/ladyofthenight3.jpg

Steve

I...honestly...don't like it.  I just don't like the idea of putting innocent
Joe into "adult" situations like this.  I prefer G and at the most PG rated
humor for vignettes.

It's a little off-color, but I don't think it's too bad.  I mean, the violent
mishaps to which poor Joe has been subjected might likewise garner more than a
PG-rating, so Stephen is just pushing the envelope in another direction.

For that matter, there are a number of other interpretations of the scene: Joe
might be offering to pay for the lady's electrolysis; he might be paying to
enter a carnival's midway, and she's the Bearded Lady; he might host a TV show
on which a bearded guy was offered $100 to dress that way.

Bottom line is that the scene isn't really harmful, IMO.

However, it's not particularly funny, either, and maybe that's the bigger issue.
There's nothing about the vignette that specifically suggests Joe Vig to me, and
any other anonymous character could as readily have played his role in it.  A
Joe Vig vignette would, I think, have had the "lady" turn out to be the lure of
huge and carnivorous monster, or the figurehead on a fast-approaching ship, or a
soon-to-be-destroyed mannequin on a conveyor belt (on which Joe is also
standing), or Mata Hari standing before the firing squad. The possibilities,
even when working from the basic premise, are wide open.

Heck, let's have an informal contest to see who can offer differing
interpretations of the basic "Joe gives money to a woman" theme.  I'd like to
see what might come of such a competition.

Dave!

(who still doesn't have the right minfig components to make his own Joe Vig)