 Town / 7951
Re: 7235 Police Motorcycle
Newsgroups:
lugnet.reviews, lugnet.town
Date:
Wed, 29 Dec 2004 14:51:33 GMT

In lugnet.reviews, Eric Kingsley wrote:
Well I got a S@H gift certificate hand had a little left at the end of placing
my order so I added 7235 Police Motorcycle to the order (which set a record in
that it arrived less than 24 hours after placing it on the 27th.

Those that know me know I absolutely can't stand the Trike and have morned the
loss of the 2 wheeled motorcycle.  Needless to say I was very interested to see
the new attempt at a 2 wheeled motorcycle.  Simply put it this is a lot nicer
than any trike but I probably still prefer the old one piece motorcycle but that
may change over time.

The parts included in this set can be seen in this scan...

http://www.bluecaboose.com/pictures/7235.jpg

The two primary parts are as follows

50859 - This is the black "under carrage or frame" of the bike.  At first this
part excited me a lot because initially it looked like we would be seeing lots
of MOC motorcycles.  Upon further review however the only connection points
other than the handle bars and wheel clips is the technic axle hole on the
bottom center.

52035 - This is the white "body or skin" of the bike.  At first glance I hated
this piece but it does offer several "studs" for customization but it is a big
honking piece.

The wheels and tires are also nice but a little oversized.

I would say that the scale of this bike is along the lines of the new larger six
wide vehicle scale LEGO seems to have gone to.  On the disappointing side the
back of the box says the following... "Designed for easy building and instant
play".  At first this says "Juniorization" but it contains more parts than the
previous 2 wheeled bikes.

In terms of playability I really like LEGO's solution to the "push/woosh"
factor.  The bike does stand on it own just on the wheels but to add additional
stability LEGO stuck a pneumatic "T" connector into each side of the axle hole
on the frame.  This is well hidden and reduces the "tip" factor considerably.

The design also seems to open the possiblility of a "Side car" either in a set
or MOC.  The axle hole in the frame aligns with the hole in the body right where
a side car should be.

The extras in this set seem excessive.  You get 2 antennas and 2 face shields
along with 1 T connector and one Trans Blue half slope as extras.

It will be interesting to see if we see different body types and/or colors.

Overall I am very happy with the set even if it is a bit oversized for my taste.
I am not a big fan of stickers but the combination of Police/Polizei is
interesting.

On a scale of 1 to 10 I would give this set a 7.5.

Eric Kingsley

Thank you Eric for this review and for the parts scan!

I find very nice the double language for the stickers (I love the white/green
"Polizei" cars from Germany!).

Don't you think that this motorbike is a little bit in a greater scale than the
normal "world city" sets?
But if you see the other world city sets (fire truck, crane truck...) it seems
that Lego would try to make its creations more similar to the AFoL mocs (that is
cars are 4 wide, trucks 6 wide... when trains 8 wide???).
I own the new fire truck (with its double stickers "fire" and "Feuerwehr") and
it matches with other trucks made for big dioramas (like the ones made for
Legoworld)...
But now, the streets baseplates are every day narrower! Even the new ones can be
too much narrow for sets like the new crane truck!
When Lego would try to produce street baseplates with 48x48 baseplates?

They would be very interesting!

Bye,
Luca Giannitti