 Town / 7945
Re: Esso Garage
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town
Date:
Sun, 19 Dec 2004 09:19:15 GMT

In lugnet.town, Gerhard R. Istok wrote:
   In lugnet.announce.moc, William R. Ward wrote:
   I am pleased to announce the latest MOC to be added to my Web site, an Esso Garage. It was included in the recent Pleasanton GATS BayLTC show and is currently on display at the Museum of American Heritage show in Palo Alto. • ...

Very nice Bill. I especially love the way you used 1960’s parts with modern Lego. The original Esso Service Station #310/#1310 was produced from 1957 to 1966 as part of the Town Plan system built in the classic scale (door = 3 bricks tall). The Esso Service 1x8 name beam was produced from 1956 to 1966, and comes in several variations.

Thanks! I’m not a collector; to me, all LEGO of any age is just fuel for MOC building. But I do get a perverse thrill out of combining things from wildly different eras.

   There are two additional Esso items that were produced. They were (found in spare parts packs #231/#1247) the freestanding Esso sign (3 variations) and the Esso gas pumps (4 variations). Both of these command premium prices when found in mint condition. But I bet that there are a lot of Esso signs that are broken (the oval Esso Sign breaks off easily) and I have often thought of taking one of these (broken but still in good condition) oval Esso signs and glued it to a regular brick to use in a gas station building.

I just have the 1x8 bricks from that product family.

   One other item of note about the Esso Service Station, the 4x8 white plates with a curved corner (they come in left curve and right curve) were so much a part of the Esso Service Station that when the stations were discontinued in 1966, those 4x8 curved plates were discontinued as well (they exist in waffle bottom and circle bottom varieties).

I have the 4x8 white plates with curved corners, one of each side, in waffle bottom variety. I think it came, along with the Esso Service signs and a bunch of other old LEGO (including a whole lot of red and white CA bricks) in a bulk Ebay auction I won a couple years ago. My Teddy Bear and Maneki Neko sculptures were both built with a lot of CA bricks. Oddly enough, the white CA bricks are in very good condition - not yellowed at all.