 Town / 6990
Re: New uses for steering wheels
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.town
Date:
Mon, 22 Dec 2003 20:04:53 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Mike Kollross wrote:
I discovered a couple of uses for steering wheels while working on a current
project.

The first uses a tap and the wheel part removed from its base.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/MK-Ultra71/misc/119_1927.jpg

You need to lever the wheel off the base.  Its a little snug but it will pop off
without damaging either piece.  I did manage to breack the pin off one base but
if there's one piece I have too many of its the steering wheel.

Once you have the wheel off press it on to the tapered arm of the tap.  Its a
tight fit and you may need to set the tap down on something hard.  The wheel
will pop over the knobby end and spin freely on the tapered bit without coming
off.  Ta Daa!!!!  A part that is now useful. (more useful than just a tap or a
steering wheel)

It looks like a big pipe valve, perfect for the "industrial look". Cool!

I'm not convinced about your other one as a train thing. Real grab irons tend to
be a bit flatter to the body. Maybe the spacers will like it though,

Another use for these wheels after you lever them off was popularised by Steve
Barile and Dwayne Towell in their Bricworx(tm) gondola kit
http://www.bricworx.com/p901.php ... it turns out that this wheel fits on a
tinypeg if you force it on gently (the tinypeg fingers are fragile). They took
advantage of that to provide a brake wheel on one side of the gondola using a
red tinypeg 1x4 plate embedded inside the wall.

Unfortunately because it stuck out into the gondola body (if you wanted the
wheel in the right place on the wall) it only works out well if your gondola has
a load.

But this is such a clever design that I took the one gondola I bought as a
starting point and cranked out 4 more in different colors, modified to use MTW
standard (1 brick spaced) trucks and "composite underbodies" instead of the
wagon plates they chose to use.