 Town / 5957
Re: Town scale Road Train with steering trailers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.town
Date:
Sat, 5 Apr 2003 19:30:54 GMT

Theirs nothing wrong with this system, although you seem to have added
complexiy where none is needed.

I think what you have tried to create is a "B triple". This is 1 normal
trailer following two other trailers that have their own fifth wheel
turntables. Each trailer automatically tracks the one in front, no • mechanism
is needed. This combination also does away with the need for dollies, as
each trailer is supported by the one in front.

Steve

What I built is better than a convetional B double or triple. A B double or
triple still cuts corners, but not as mush as a dolly setup. A B double or
triple just eliminates a joint. I quiclky built a B double to make sure I
was not making things up.

Maybe the real thing doesn`t work like this but in my model all the wheels
will follow the same path.

With a single normal trailer the wheels of the trailer will follow a path
closer to the inside of the curve. The wheels of my trailer will follow the
same path as the wheels of the truck(tractor). Then the second trailer does
the same, its rear wheels will also follow the same path of the truck. Then
the third's rear wheels also follow the same path. in a B triple the rear
wheels of the first unsteered trailer will cut the corner a little, like
every other unsteered trailer would. The second unsteered trailer would cut
the corner a little more, since it is like a normal trailer which cuts the
corner a little, and the third unsteered trailer would cut the corner even
more. My road train does not cut corners at all.

Maybe it is not like the real thing they have down under but it can navigate
very tight corners, if the first trailer makes it, the other 2 will make it.
An unsteered B double or triple will need more space for the remaining
trailers.

I was experimenting with it in Lego to make sure, and I have driven with
multiple trailers behind agricultural tractors and in both case i noticed
that unsteered trailers cut corners, only steered trailers will follow the
exact same path.

I hope that explains it better.

Gerard