 Town / 5487
5486  |  5488
Subject:
MichLTC train/town display at local NMRC show, Livonia MI
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.town, lugnet.build.arch, lugnet.announce
Date:
Tue, 26 Nov 2002 00:51:39 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

The Michigan Lego Train Club displayed in Livonia this past Sunday.  While
this was an extremely small layout for us because of limited setup time, I
think we had a very strong display with a lot of great detail.  Many of the
buildings have already been shown from our October show, so I'll highlight
new things here.

As has already been posted, Larry P's mountain stole the show.  People kept
commenting as soon as they entered the room.  It had two tunnel entrances
and a rock quarry on the side:

My version of Detroit's Old Mariner's Church (mentioned in Gordon
Lightfoot's song "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" as "the Maritime
Sailors' Cathedral" was incomplete but Larry talked me into bringing it so
the products of his quarry had a place to go:

Those windows are standard, clear Lego 1x4x3 panels with Avery window decals
applied.  I printed patterns on my inkjet and applied them... but because
they're static window decals I can just peel them off and use them for
something else later. (NOTE: I don't see any reason why you couldn't use
these on non-clear Lego when you only want temporary stickers.  It seems to
stick just as well!  Thanks to Garry Stahl for suggesting the material in
the first place) The rose window from the church is a photograph of the real
church's stained glass... the other windows are just diamond patterns.

Then came our Christmas village, which was my version of the Department 56
ornament from a few years back along with a Blacksmith shop (original Guild
of BricksmithsTM version), Crossroads Tavern, and the "Painted Lady" Victorian.

I didn't post this photo of the workshop before, but I like it best because
you can see one of the elves has a circular saw.  That sounds like trouble
to me!

Larry's son Nik did an SVTOL takeoff/landing pad for Santa's sleigh:

Next up are Larry's Santa car along with different LTCs' container cars:

Then Kai Brodersen's stationary steam engine behind Larry's tractors:

Tony Hedglen's warehouse had some great new details:

Alfred Spez.. um, Alfred S.'s Troy building from the campus of Rensellaer
Polytechnic with some great ivy on one side, and David Kohrman's romanesque
train station:

Then Chris Leach's tan buildings finished out the other end of the U:

Fun details:
Jar Jar, put that down... no wait hold on for a minute!

Workmen getting the new stone shipment:

Workman completing the tower:

David provided an A-Team van:

We had three loops running and were able to switch trains from one loop to
another relatively successfully.  After a couple cozy little shows, we're
all eager to do a bigger display for Novi GATS in January.  My Mariner's
church will be completed for that show, and we'll all have a number of new
and returning buildings plus new train yards.  Join us January 25th-26th if
you'll be anywhere nearby!!!

Peter