 Town / 4664
Re: New Fire Apparatus Pics, 6 wides
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build, lugnet.town
Date:
Fri, 17 May 2002 17:08:24 GMT

Well, that very thing is what has taken that tower 6 years to be perfected.
I have tried many different methods for stablizers, using lego type methods.
Then it dawned on me to simply try the real thing.  The station I work at in
real life has a 100' rear-mount platform.  The outriggers, which are a
"out-down" type, are offset on the truck.  The 1x1 bricks take care of that.
If you look at the pic closely, you see when they are extended, there is a
1x1 area empty just in front of the horizontal beam.  This is where the
other outrigger sits.  Only bad thing is that once out, they can swing
fowards and backwards, so care has to be used in placment.  Other than that,
they hold the weight of that ladder and basket with no problem, even at 0
degrees elevation.  It takes a little inguneity, and playing around with the
frame of the truck for a secure hold, but once I finished it, I was rather
happy with it.

This will be the future design of all towers that I do.

ah, thanks for explaining. That is exactly what I thought was done.

Thanks again.
Very nice trucks all around.

Best,
Jonathan