 Town / 3868
Re: the end is near
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town
Date:
Wed, 5 Dec 2001 20:42:05 GMT

In lugnet.town, Erik Olson writes:
In lugnet.town, Larry Lesser writes:
Soon TLC will no longer have our favorite sets.

Uh, that day was many, many years ago.

In the late 1970s, TLC began producing a new kind of mini-fig and designed
new themes and sub-themes based on its size and shape.  This spawned twenty
years of new elements and concepts of Lego building.  Those of us who grew
up on these toys sometimes encounter sets and figures from before this Great
Mini-Fig Era, and when we do many of us (myself included) see the older sets
as primitive or simplistic or maybe just a bit old-fashioned.  But I bet
there are some older AFOLs out there that think that the marketing of the
mini-fig was the beginning of the end of their "favorite" sets.  And perhaps
in anothe ten or twenty years, today's kids will look at the 80's and 90's
sets and think that *they* are archaic.

The newer figures (Jack Stone) might possibly be more appealing to younger
children -they seem to have more character in their faces, and they are
slightly more real in body shape.  I hope TLC does not totally replace the
old figures with the new.  But history shows that this has been done before.
Most toy companies do this even more frequently than TLC has (at least with
the example of the figs of traditional Town sets, which is what I have in
mind here since this is a .Town thread).

I think even with the junior-themes that enough bricks and elements will
continue to exist for us to build new Town MOCs.  And for most of us it has
been years since collecting Town was anything other than collecting pieces
for MOCs anyway (since there are no Town sets compatible with the 80's
stuff).  The only question is whether we need to start buying up all the
mini-figs we can find -because that could be the one element that fades away
during the next generation...

-H.