 Town / 3754
Re: A little strange about the Alpha Team Recall.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town
Date:
Tue, 6 Nov 2001 15:52:21 GMT

In lugnet.town, Jason Fabisch writes:
Last I heard, the Ogel Control Center was recalled.  But I go to my local
TRU and there they are.  Then this weekend I get a TRU catalog in the
newspaper and the OCC is featured as on sale right there in the book.  Is
there something I don't know about regarding this "recall".

Jason

The weekend after I heard about the recall, I went looking for set #6776 and
was not able to find it at any of the following: Wal-Mart, Toys-R-Us, K-Mart,
or Target. I happened to venture into a Zany Brainy and they had nearly 50. I
couldn't tell you why they had so many other than that is typical of the people
doing purchasing at Zany Brainy. They always seem to buy to much of some stuff
and not enough of other stuff. They are a great place to find deals after the
holiday season, especially of stuff that the LEGO Group is unloading.

When I asked the store manager about the sets and why they had not been
recalled from the Zany Brainy shelves he said that the company had recently
been bought by another company and they were a little slow in communicating.

I decided to buy a couple and at least open one to see what all of the fuss was
about. I was a little spooked by the last page, which is apparently what caused
the recall. I wasn't going to collect the theme, but now I have decided to
finish the series. (oh, all of this was in the Atlanta, GA area).

Recently, I visited TRU in Athens, GA and they had the sets back on the
shelves. This may indicate that there might have been a re-thinking of the
recall. I would love to know if the instruction booklets have been changed. If
not, then it could simply be that TRU had so many sets that they weren't
willing to send them back to the LEGO Group, or LEGO Group didn't realize the
impact of the recall. Assuming it takes a couple of months to plan promotions,
it might have become expensive to recall both product and promotions like the
one you described. All of this is conjecture though.

As far as a set, I like it. It's not my favorite, but if you're a piece
collector it has some good pieces. I like the deep trans-red, although I have
no ideas yet about what to do with them.

Todd