 Town / 1811
1810  |  1812
Subject:
27 Story Exoskeleton Skyscraper MOC (CAD)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build, lugnet.build.arch, lugnet.town
Date:
Wed, 22 Nov 2000 04:16:10 GMT

This is a 27 story glass skyscraper I built from massive numbers of
(virtual) curved Paradisa windows, white arches, and 4x4 1/4 circles.

Here is an overall shot:

Here is shot looking up from the entrance

The white matrix of beams protruding from the 4 axes of the building is
intended to strengthen the rigidity of the structure against the wind.

The glass shell around the building is primarily made from both large and
small curved Paradisa windows mounted vertically (thanks to my beloved
Aquazone columns with studs on the side).  Also, some 4x4 1/4 circle pieces
are used to smooth out some corners.

The architecture was inspired by Bauhaus designs from the 30's.

The exoskelleton is taken from some more modern buildings.  The wind becomes
just as critical of an issue as keeping the building from collapsing when
you get a really tall building (this cuts in a lot higher than 27 stories in
the real world).  In a big building, the top can sway several feet, making
people sea-sick.  This is fixed by making the building stiffer with a more
substantial wrapping (as I have used), or by using massive counterweights in
the top of the building that offset the force of the wind.

This is my largest CAD model yet.  In fact, it is so large, you can hardly
tell it is made out of LEGO.  The studs hardly show up!  Each picture took
about an hour and a half to generate using POV-RAY on my P2-450.  The disk
was swapping like crazy the whole time, even though I have 128MB of RAM.

I didn't post the .dat file because there are at least 5-6 sub-models (in
different files).  If you are interested, I'll email the set to you.

LMKWYT

Brad
http://members.home.net/hmltn1/lego.htm