 Town / 1144
Re: Is it possible?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town
Date:
Fri, 23 Jun 2000 12:11:16 GMT

David Williams wrote:

My older brother gave me the challenge of building a train system without any
train peices at all.

eg:No rails, motors, train wheels, etc.

Can anyone give me some suggestions or ideas?

Thanks
David
http://www.geocities.com/EnchantedForest/Cove/3396

When I was very young, I had only basic sets 033 (from 1968), 30 (from
1976 or 77) and basic battery motor 107, and I could have managed to
build a working system, but not quite so conventional.

I had used 2xN regular bricks as rails (imagine those upside down "T"
rails for conceptual modern railway systems) in studs down position.
Like this:

|xxxx||xxxx||xxxx|
    |xx|  |xx|

The upper line is 2x4 bricks and the lower line is 2x2 bricks, studs
pointing down.

My cars were build on 4x8 plates in studs up position and two 1x8 bricks
was connected to the bottom of it on sides to guide the rail:

|------|
|x|  |x|

This is front view of the sled, upper line is  4xN plate and the lower
line are 2 1xN bricks.

For moving them with battery motor, I had used some rope (circular, I
mean a long wedge belt, built from rope), two free style wheels on both
ends of the rail, connected some up from the ground, and a simple
packaging rubber band (again a wedge belt of some sort) for motorizing
one of the wheels by connecting it with the other wheel of the battery
motor. By clamping the rope belt between two plates above one of the
cars, gives ability to go forward and backward. Just the principle used
by teleski (sp?) things at winter sports sites. Of course there is no
possibility of turns in my setup.

This was from the ages that I only have a mere 300-400 pieces and 7-8
years old, an was a lot of fun.

I hope this would be helpful as a starting idea.

Selçuk