 Town / 1065
1064  |  1066
Subject:
Classic era damaged windows/doors.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.town
Date:
Tue, 16 May 2000 14:00:22 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Anyone who has LEGO from the early classic era (1957-1977) probably has
old windows and doors that are either faded, discolored, pitted, without
glass, or old faded Cellulose Acetate (the red windows are almost orange
in color).  Well I came up with solution for my old damaged windows that
would otherwise never get used.  I spray painted them! (AWK, GASP,
COUGH!!!!!!!)   Yes you heard me, I spray painted them..... BLACK!  I
have a few (mint) classic era windows in black, and I used them to match
the exact color of black modelling paint you can get at any toy store
that sells models.  The results are quite good.  I have a hard time
telling the painted black windows from the originals.  And since black
classic windows are very very rare, these will really stand out.

I chose black because it is the easiest color to match exactly.  I now
have about 30 windows that I have done this to (when you have as many as
I have, there are a large number that are damaged).  Last fall Larry P.
stopped by for a visit, and he was appalled when he saw them, heh-heh.

But if I would have left these windows unpainted, they would have been
useless to me.  They were that badly discolored/damaged.

Note:  I don't paint Cellulose Acetate windows just because they are
CA.  I paint them only when they meet the same damage criteria as the
ABS ones.   I usually segregate CA windows into separate buildings so as
not to make their different color obvious.

I plan on building a single building with all of these windows.  From
preliminary work, I think the results will be quite good.  This is one
reason why I am pushing for re-release of the classic era windows, and
in new colors (black, yellow, blue, gray).

Also, on a similar note,  of all the classic era windows/doors, the most
fragile was the classic door, whose handle often got broken off.  When
that happens, voila! you have a 1x2x3 window (same size as the 1x2x3
small train window).  I personally like these doors because without the
handle, these doors are an exact 1/3 version of the large classic 1x6x3
picture window.  If the handle is broken off, or partly broken off, I
remove any excess plastic remaining from the handle.  Sometimes I will
take a right hand classic door, a left hand classic door, and one of
these handle-less doors and make a 3 piece grouping of them.  Granted
this is not originally the way LEGO was intended.  But I like to make
the best of a bad situation!

Gary Istok