 Town / 10315
Re: Minifig Segway
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town
Date:
Wed, 22 Jul 2009 21:14:39 GMT

In lugnet.town, David Laswell wrote:
   In lugnet.town, Daniel Patten wrote:
   I’m glad you like it. I know that some Space builders have “motorized” cars by using magnets (example: here; the YouTube links still work),

First person I know of who pulled that off was Steve Ringe from MichLUG, and he did it to have driving cars on a Town/Train layout.

   so maybe something could be done with the Segway, too. The parts I used are pretty common, so it shouldn’t be hard for someone (with more resources than myself) to build enough for a tour group something similar

It might be harder than you think. The Segway is a pretty small model, so I think the easiest way to pull that off would be to go a bit lower tech, like Matt DeLanoy’s Mos Eisley diorama where all the landspeeders and such were mounted directly to train cars running under the layout, by way of axles that stick up through a narrow gap in the plates.

See, the magnet trick is really suited more for a four-wheel vehicle. Unless you’re willing to use non-LEGO parts, you need room to fit magnet bricks inside the body, plus rubber tires don’t handle turns very well (but there’s one tire style that you can get in standard rubber tire that fits a plastic wheel, or as a one-piece hard plastic design). With a two-wheel design, there’s no way it’d follow the turns properly without sticking the magnet way out in front, and if you link them together you really need those hard-plastic tires. If, however, you mount them directly to the cars, they’ll always stay pointing in the same direction as the train cars, and turns will never be a problem. You will, of course, have to build that section of ground yourself, unless you want to cut slots in roadplates.

I see I neglected to mention that I’d already considered much of what you said, and that I was going to leave the nitty-gritty figuring-out to someone else. : ) I appreciate your insight, though.

I’ve been thinking of the possibility of rigidly connecting two Segways front-to-back to make what would be, for practical purposes, a four-wheel vehicle, but I hadn’t previously thought of the trouble that rubber tires would have in turns. Could you point me to that hard-plastic one you mentioned?

I also like that train-car idea. I might have to try it sometime.

Daniel Patten