 Technic / Bionicle / 987
Re: Review Of The Rahi
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic.bionicle
Date:
Wed, 25 Jul 2001 18:27:29 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Keith Blumenthal writes:
Since the Rahi are out now and I haven't seen much talk about them yet, I
thought I'd get the ball rolling and post my thoughts on 4 of the Rahi
sets...8537 - Nui Rama, 8548 - Nui Jaga, 8549 - Tarakava, and 8538 Muaka and
Kane-Ra.  I hope to hear others thoughts on these sets too.

8537 - Nui Rama  I liked this set a lot.  I'd give it an A.  This is a set
of two pretty much identical insect creatures, one hi-liter green and the
other hi-liter orange.  The instructions also come with an alternative model
of a bigger insect with a stinger like tail and flapping wings and antennae.
To my surprise, I liked the alternative model better!  The functionality of
this set is pretty cool and involves a couple of new technic pieces.  You
pretty much hold them gun style and push forward on their backs and their
"antenna" shoot forward to knock off the mask of an opponent.  It cost
$14.99 and has 138 pieces so that was a good piece/price ratio as well.

8548 - Nui Jaga  I'd give this set a B-.  This is a set of 2 identical
scorpion creatures, one powder blue and the other plum in color.  I really
liked their looks and functionality.  The functionality fit with the
scorpion theme.  You hold them gun style, press the trigger and their
stinger shoots forward to knock off the opponents mask.  The instructions
come with an alternative model (bird type creature) that is OK but not
nearly as cool as the scorpions and has almost no functionality (beak opens
and closes).  Here's the worst news: The set has 218 pieces and is priced at
$34.99.  Ouch!  Cmon Lego, knock $10-15 off that price and then we're talking.

8549 - Tarakava  I give this set a B- as well.  This is a set of 2 identical
snake like creatures that have treads.  Colors are very pretty, royal blue
and Girl Scout green.  This set has 401 pieces and a price of $49.99.  Ouch
again!  Should be $39.99.  Cmon Lego, lets keep it at .10/piece.  Anyway,
the functionality of this set was not what I'd expect.  These snakes are
boxers.  Yes, instead of having something logical like a forked tongue
coming forth to knock off the mask, these snakes have arms that extend out
when you press levers on their back.  Kind of dumb if you ask me.  I also
don't understand why treads were put on them because you've gotta hold'em to
box em against each other.  Like the other sets, the instructions have an
alternative model.  It's OK but didn't thrill me.  Perhaps some will be
allured by the pieces in this set.  Long rounded beams, rare colors, shocks,
treads and a new part or two.

8538 - Muaka and Kane-ra   I really liked this set the best but overall must
give this set a A-. This set of 2 nearly identical snapping panther
creatures (one red one yellow) has 647 pieces and a price of $69.99.  Can't
complain there, that is pretty close to .10/piece.  The best thing about
this set is its functionality.  Like all the others, you hold em gun style
and by pressing on the panther's back a scissors neck shoots forward and the
panther's jaws open and take a bite!  And the biting is very realistic.
Clever, clever design.  Both panthers have front paws but instead of
extending the torso of the animal and having rear paws, lego put a lame
useless tread on the bottom that flops around and is largely useless.  I'm
sure many builders out there will want to turn this model into a full
animal...me included.  Like the other sets, the alternative model is a
bigger version of the two smaller ones.  I haven't built it yet but it looks
like it makes much better use of the treads and a mask as well.  Lots of
good pieces in this set, especially rounded beams of many sizes.

All in all the Rahi are excellent and the only good reason to buy Bionicle.
I may get the Manas as well when my IRS refund check comes.  8)  These sets
are infinitely more interesting than the small, Throwbot like, Toa and
Tuhunga models.

Keith Blumenthal

over all a good review man! 2 thhings...wher edid  you pay $35 for Nui
Jaga??? They were 15 when I got mine!  also, I assume you agree about that
Useless mask Launcher Gimic on the Cats....rather suicidal dont you thingk?