 Technic / 9879
Re: Power Pulling
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sat, 5 Apr 2003 10:55:48 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Max Maxwell writes:
I just came across this site

http://www.geocities.com/steveroblane/comparetest.html

and it caught my interest. I just wanted to know if this competition is
still alive.

The competition is currently in hibernation. I've dismantled the vehicle.
What I'd like to do is re-launch it with a brand new vehicle. I have bits of
vehicle lying around waiting to be united into one truck. You can still
build your own vehicle though. I have plans for a vehicle using smaller tyres.

I wanted to try building a pulling machine to compete. If it
is, could someone clarify the rules?

1. What do you mean by a gearbox? How many speeds, operating/shifting in any
  specific manner?

Gearbox, transmission to americans. Two speeds would qualify as a gearbox.
It's that simple, although mine had five and was remotely opereated.

2. What type of suspension: must it use springs, or can it be unsprung, like
  on Jennifer Clark's mobile crane's pendulum front axle?

Unsprung's fine

3. Can any of the differentials be locked together, or can I use a limited
  slip/Torsen differential?

You can use a diff lock so long as it functions. It has to be switchable
between the locked and unlocked positions fairly easily. A Torsen diff would
also be fine.

Thanks for the info and clarification.

No trouble

Steve