 Technic / 9304
Re: Fiber Optics
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 08:59:08 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Max Maxwell writes:
I wonder if anyone could help explain to me how the Lego fiber optics work? And
what you need to make them work. I do remember them from maybe 1995, but I
bought a supercar and some other stuff, and just forgot about them until they
were unavailable. Can anyone help?

I'm in no way a master of these units but here goes.

http://peeron.com/inv/parts/6637

Looking at the picture found on the above URL; the top 2 x 2 stud area is the
cable connection point. A standard 9V cable goes there and feeds current into
the light inside. This is probably a red LED via some resistor. The LED rotates
inside the housing, passing by the eight small holes that form a circle. Thus
it apears the light is flashing. This rotation is made by the centre cross axle
hole, the faster this is spun the faster the light will move from hole to hole,
if spun fast enough it will appear as if all eight holes are shining.

The eight holes should be equiped with the clear fiber optics cables:
http://peeron.com/inv/parts/x165

A word of warning, don't store these cables wrapped with a rubber band, the
plastic in the cables and the rubber band don't mesh well and caused some
chemical reaction making a mess...

Hope this helps. I tried to find a page with internal photos but alas could
not. It would be cool to modify the unit with perhaps a blue LED :)

Best regards,
/Tobbe
http://www.lotek.nu
(remove SPAM when e-mailing)