 Technic / 8868
8867  |  8869
Subject:
Sample Sensor readings for Drag Racing Competition
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickswest, lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 11 Jan 2003 08:16:25 GMT

There's only a month until the Drag Racing competition at BricksWest, so
rather than leave it to a last minute rush, why not start building your
robot now? If you are considering attending, please send me a note so I can
plan the event better. (Remove the spam-block from my email address.)

The arena will be available for at least a day before the competition so
that everyone will have a chance to test their robots and make appropriate
modifications. The lighting conditions may vary depending on how much sun
comes in from windows, what time of day it is, etc. So I highly suggest
having your robots be self-calibrating - don't hard code any light sensor
readings.

Nevertheless, to give an indication what sort of light sensor readings you
can expect, I took three light sensors from my collection and got the
following readings. In all cases I had the light sensor set to raw
light-sensor mode.

The surfaces - all readings are taken 1 stud above the surface:
Black Runner (the 'track')
  L1 - 790
  L2 - 840
  L3 - 870

Masking Tape (the 'lane')
  L1 - 685
  L2 - 715
  L3 - 750

Retro Reflector (the 'finish line')
  L1 - 660
  L2 - 705
  L3 - 740

The christmas tree - all readings are taken 9 inches from the lights
All lights off
  L1 - 768
  L2 - 810
  L3 - 820

Yellow light only (1/2 second before start)
  L1 - 755
  L2 - 788
  L3 - 797

Yellow and Green light (starting signal)
  L1 - 728
  L2 - 770
  L3 - 780

If you really feel the need, you can order your own set of light bricks from
http://www.hitechnic.com. The two I would recommend:
Lightbrick - Yellow (LB1053) $8.95
Lightbrick - Green (LB1054) $8.95

So far only two or three people have let me know that they'll be bringing
robots to the competition. If you are thinking about coming, please let me
know. This isn't a firm commitment to bring a robot, but it will help me
prepare.

Thanks.

--
  David Schilling