 Technic / 8335
Re: Colored gears - and the chain links no one talks about
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 16 Oct 2002 13:59:49 GMT

Hi,

Just adding my two cents:

I recently purchased a mixed pile of Lego which included plenty of these
gears (with European cross axle hole), the old white axles and the old chain
links.

The gears cannot be meshed with modern technic gears, but they sure can
share the same axles. So to say they are not directly compatible is a bit
misleading.

The coolest thing about these gears, IMHO, is that the system also included
pre-technic chain links (not metioned in Technica). These links, incredibly
expensive in Bricklink and rare anywhere else, are waaaaaay better designed
(i.e. more resistant, better traction) than the modern chain links. It is a
pity that they are not that well known, and specially that they are hardly
available any more.

Here is a pic

http://www.bricklink.com/P/11/418a.gif

And here is a recent auction which I just missed or would have bid up to 20
bucks for it easily.

http://news.lugnet.com/market/auction/?n=9466

This model used them

http://guide.lugnet.com/set/813_2

BTW, I think clock-makers often use both the old gears and the chain.

Hope it helps!

Cheers