 Technic / 6615
6614  |  6616
Subject:
Is the Technic brand being phased out?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 15 Feb 2002 15:02:38 GMT

After putting together the cool new 8010 Darth Vader "Technic Set"
last night, I noticed that the box does not even say "Technic" on
it.

This got me wondering, so today, I took a closer look at the upcoming
"Technic sets" here, http://www.marzdistribution.com/insideMarz/lego.cfm,
and low and behold, the upcoming "Technic" Racer sets do not say
Technic on them either.  And pictures shown here,
http://www.alteredstatesmag.com/mar2002/lego_racers.shtml, seem to
group the Technic Racer models with the non-Technic ones.

Same thing goes for the Bohrok Bionicle sets.  No "Technic" on the
canister.  (I have some of these, but did not even notice til today)

Add to this the fact that Technic and Technic-esque parts seem to be
showing up in greater quantity in all themes, especially racers,
Jack Stone, and Alpha Team, and the fact that many newer parts
designed specifically for non-Technic themes are using attachment
mechanisms that have traditionally been used mostly in Technic sets.

With all these signs, I think the writing is on the wall:  Lego will
phase the Technic brand out completely soon, just as the did with
the System Brand.

It is possible that the Technic name will live on (at least for a
while) for use solely on the Larger Super Car or Silver Champion type
sets.  I suspect that in the future we may see some of these types of
sets become Lego direct items (10XXX numbering, S@H only).

Anyone else have comments on this?