 Technic / 6587
Re: Motorized 8466?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 13 Feb 2002 23:25:56 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Jennifer Clark writes:
I extended a shaft out the back of the gearbox, and put a motor in the • back. It
turned the wheels OK, but there was slippage somewhere in the gear train. • I got
side-tracked & never fixed it - maybe I should get back to that some
time...

I've only half completed my 8466, but I think this may well be a problem
with the model at the point where the bevel gears connect to each axle.
These are very high torque areas and the supporting beams are not
particularly robust - certainly I was able to make the gears slip by holding
the output axle and turning the input.

Hi Jen, I checked it last night, and there's a couple of problems.

First, the 12t-20t sets on the back of the gearbox - the centre axle actually
bends if the motor drives the 5/6 gear axle, and its in 3rd or lower gear. You
could possibly drive the 2nd/3rd axle or the 1st/rev, but then you'd have to
gear down the motor more. I solved that one by swapping the 12t and 20t gears,
and extending the 5th/6th and 1st/rev axles, and putting a #6 axle behind
(which also carries a shaft to the motor) to hold the extensions.

But there's another problem spot under the gearbox where it drives the centre
diff. It's just not strong enough (without some modification) to take the
torque. I'll be investigating to see if it can be strengthened enough - I'm
worried the gears won't be able to take it though.

ROSCO