 Technic / 6215
Re: Combo pump/piston control
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sun, 2 Dec 2001 13:37:24 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Simeon H.K. Fitch writes:
I'm sure this problem has been solved many times, and would love to hear
comments and know how others have solved this, especially more compact
designs.

Thanks,

Simeon Fitch

Nice work,
I think there are at least two other approaches to this problem.
You can implement a rack that'll slide away once the lever motion is complete.
You'll probably have to use two rubber bands to make sure the gear will "catch"
the rack once you operate the motor in the other direction (I hope you
understand what I mean...)
A similar solution would be to use a worm gear that'll slide away once the
resistance from the switch is high (when it's fully pushed) similar to what
Reinard van Loo did here:
<http://members.chello.at/reinard-van-loo/Resources/drive_free_run_mech.jpg>

In both cases rubber bands are needed which means the rack/worm gear would
click against the gear in an attempt to reengage when the switch is fully
pushed to either side. This can be considered a hack also.

A definite non-hack solution would be to drive a differential with one output
driving the pump and the other controlling the switch. With careful gearing
it's possible to make sure the switch side has less resistance than the pump
side as long as the switch can still be pushed. The result would be the
transfer of the force to the switch side until it's fully pushed and then (when
the switch resistance is large) the power shifts to the pump side.

I've seen it done. Let me look for it...

There:
<http://home.t-online.de/home/sibylle.eddy/pneswit2.html>
By Edmund Nussbaum.

Hope that helps,