 Technic / 5972
5971  |  5973
Subject:
New edition of 'You play with LEGO devices'
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 24 Oct 2001 22:04:48 GMT

All --

There are several good books available at the moment on building with LEGO
Mindstorms; rather fewer books (good or bad) on building with LEGO
Technic.   This is to draw the attention of non-Japanese readers of LUGNET
to 'You Play with LEGO Devices: from LEGO Technic to LEGO Mindstorms'
(approximate translation) by Yoshihito ISOGAWA.  I haven’t seen this book
mentioned on LUGNET, and I haven’t raved about it here before because by the
time I got a copy it was out of print – I didn’t want to torture people who
couldn’t get one for themselves.  However, I have just been told that
there’s a new edition coming out this month.

I was sent a copy of the 1999 edition last year by my LEGO sensei Hideaki
Yabuki, and I really can't praise it highly enough.  The text is in
Japanese, but you won’t mind if you can't read it because almost every page
of the book is crammed with detailed, full-color, step-by-step photographs
of LEGO Technic construction techniques and mechanisms.  I think there’s
something in this book for everyone, but it’s particularly valuable for
absolute beginner through intermediate builders who are getting to grips
with the idiosyncrasies of building with LEGO Technic because they bought a
RIS set.

The book works through the basics from bracing Technic, changing stud
direction, through gears and pulleys, and on to a wide selection of
interesting and whimsical mechanisms.  It’s definitely a how-to book about
building with Technic rather than programming.  What's particularly nice
about it is that you don't need a whole heck of a lot of LEGO Technic to
build the example mechanisms and most of the examples are small and *fun*.
Speaking as a 37-y.o. hobbyist with a 5-y.o. son, we’ve built a number of
the mechanisms together and had a great time doing it.

If you don't live in Japan, or have any friends living there, your best bet
for getting a copy would probably be to contact an importer of Japanese
books. In the US you could try asking Sasuga Books (
http://www.sasugabooks.com/ - I would welcome other suggestions of Japanese
language book importers).  The publisher is "Soft Bank Publishing" and the
ISBN of the 2001 edition is 4797318201.

If you want to see a little of the book, visit
http://www.isogawastudio.co.jp/legostudio/bookintroduction.html (Japanese), or
http://babel.altavista.com/translate.dyn?lp=ja_en&doit=done&url=http://www.isogawastudio.co.jp/legostudio/bookintroduction.html
(machine translation)

Cheers,