 Technic / 5787
5786  |  5788
Subject:
Tohunga Quest! Action! Adventure! Well, ok, maybe not...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 11 Sep 2001 06:20:04 GMT

A few days ago, we were at a McDonald's in Wal-Mart, picking up some Hukis.
My little brother was very excited, he loves Bionicle, and he got some mask
sets, so he wanted to get two (at least) of each Tohunga so he could make
different villagers.  He's got more then a dozen of the little guys now.  He
seems to be determined to single handedly over-populate Mata Nui.  Oh, yeah,
my sister and I have one of each also.  If Makuta saw the army we've been
building, he'd be gone before you could say "Kanohi".

But anyway, back to the story,

We were in a hurry, so we got our Happy Meals and hurried out to the car.
My sister dug into her box, and guess what?

They had put Diva Starz in instead.

McDonald's people are like that.  They usually ask "do you want the 'girl
toy' or the 'boy toy'?"  Now, while I agree it's a good idea to have two
choices, that seems to me to be a very sexist way of asking the question.
But this time they didn't ask at all!  They took one look at my sister, and
put the plastic Divas in ALL but one of the Happy Meals!  Now, admittedly,
it was a Saturday morning, and we should have checked the boxes before we
left the store, but we were late, and it was irritating.  Anyway, I dashed
back into the store, past the Friendly People Greeters (TM), who were
checking out a cart that had set off the security system.  I should have
told them that I was going to exchange the Mickey D toys, and gotten a Happy
Face Sticker (TM), but, like I said, I was in a hurry, and they were busy.
Anyway, I went back and traded the toys without too much trouble, and headed
back to the entrance.  I was about to leave, when I heard a tiny voice.
"Young man, excuse me, young man.  Young man?"
You know, it's lucky that I can hear well.  If that voice was any smaller,
I'd have thought it was Huki, if I'd heard it at all.  But no, it was the
Friendly People Greeter lady.
"Yes?", I said.  "Do you have a receipt for those?", she asked.
"These are the McDonald's toys," I said, handing one over for inspection.
This was only the second set of toys we had gotten.  I hadn't paid any
attention to the packaging until now.
She missed the tiny (why is it so small?  On the all the other toys, it's
huge!) Mickey D symbol on the front of the bag, flipped it over, and said:
"These can't be McDonald's toys.  They have a barcode."
This was news to me.  Why do they have a barcode on the back, anyway?  But
they do.  So she wouldn't believe me.  Right.  Like if I was really a thief,
I'd have carried the bags right in front of me, and stopped when I heard
her.  I might as well have shouted: "I'm stealing these, ok?"  So not only
am I a liar and a thief, I'm stupid too.
At this point, I was more concerned about being right then being late.
"I can take you back there and show you."
Apparently the walk all-the-way-across-the-store would be too difficult.
She examined the bag again, and found the itty-bitty-teeny-weeny Mickey D
sign, and let me go.  I dashed back to the car, and guess what?

It wouldn't start.

It all worked out in the end, though.  As of today, the car's in the shop,
we got where we were going, and we're Tohunga complete (and then some).  I
just had to rant somewhere.  :)  I'll post something more positive next
time, I promise.  :)

Adrick