 Technic / 5769
Re: T.J's Diff
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 31 Aug 2001 13:41:33 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Steve Lane writes:
T.J, I see you've built that diff that was advertised here recently.

http://brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=6601

How does it compare with the standard diff?

It works well. It's easy to assemble and requires only common parts.

I think that it will stand up to very high torque applications, but I
haven't tested it yet.

The only drawback to this home-made differential is that it's big. It's a
minimum of 7L wide. I made mine 8L wide, just for convenience.

I was afraid that the 8t gear that was driving the 40t gear of the diff.
would skip. Because the diff. is so wide, it can easily deflect away from
the gear that's driving it. If you've built it yet, you'll understand what
I'm saying.

This problem is easily solved by placing idler gears on the opposite side of
the driving gears (see my model- an 8t gear drives the diff. and two 24t
gears are placed on the other side of the 40t gears). The idler gears
provide support and prevent the diff. from deflecting away from the driving
gear.

Of course this solution adds to the overall size of the assembly.

I suppose this home-made diff. could have an advantage in the right
situation. But I imagine that the normal Technic diff. is best for most
applications.

TJ

ps Check out the text file in that brickshelf gallery if you haven't seen it
yet.