 Technic / 5490
Re: Flex cable option?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sat, 7 Jul 2001 17:41:51 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Adrian Egli writes:
A lot of my older Technic sets like the 8856 Rescue Helicopter that used the
flex cable system are showing some real problems.  Many have heard this
problem before and getting supplements in the USA isn't easy without putting
down some bucks.

What sort of problems are you having? I have a bunch of sets with flex
system cables (with both the new and old kinds of connectors) but haven't
noticed any problems with them. I guess if they are bent really hard, they
stay bent and hard to get straight again, although this doesn't really get
in the way of the functionality. I actually find these pieces very useful in
my own models...

One thing I've though of doing but haven't tried is replacing the flex
cables with those flex cross axles on sets like the 8448 SSS or 8458 Silver
Champ.  What bugs me is when I pull on the line I fear the end will pull out
of its connector.  Has anyone tried this yet?

These might work but they probably would not be as good as the standard flex
cables since they are much larger and would therefore take up a lot more
space. They also cannot accept the covering the standard flex cables use to
hold the cable in place, although it is probably worth a try.

Although the cables appear to be pretty weak and flimsy, they are actually
quite sturdy and seem to stay in their connectors very firmly when attached
to these. (at least in my experience)

-Gaurav Thakur, raving madman
Can be reached at cp5670@supermail.com
http://cp5670.250x.com/TC/