 Technic / 543
542  |  544
Subject:
a new FWD setup.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 24 Dec 1999 21:17:45 GMT

Some time ago, somebody posted a link to a front wheel
drive system that used crown24 gears on the wheel axle
turned by z16 gears mounted horiz. over the steering
knuckle's pivot point. This works rather nicely, but
due to the thickness and diameter of the gears, it pushes
the tire out a bit, which makes it look bad with small tires.

It just occured to me that using the new 20-tooth
flat bevel gear on the wheel axle and a 12-tooth bevel gear
on top might just work. If so, this would only move
most tires out 1/2 stud; due to the smaller size
of the top gear (the z16 interfered with rim edges), the
z20 would together with a 3x3 pulley fit into the hollow
side of an MT hub, which would then be spaced just as
usual. I have not tried it, but it seems that (with
the new-style steering knuckles) it would just fit.
(Though connecting the horizontal gears' axle further
will be a very tight fit.)
Might this be the way the 2000 technic buggy manages
4WD (if it does)?

-gbr