 Technic / 3777
3776  |  3778
Subject:
8002 Droid Amendment book, here's how to keep your head on :)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.starwars
Date:
Thu, 18 Jan 2001 02:20:58 GMT

There was a discussion about a month ago on addendums to the 8002
Droid instruction book.

     I got a second copy of 8002 Droid today, and inside I found an
amendment book.  It is Part # 4131258.  On the cover is labeled
"Amendment sheets for improved functions on page:
47-55-56-60-61-62-64-69-70-77-84" The text is also repeated in 4
languages.  I have heard reports of misc. update sheets for this set,
but this is a 12 page stapled booklet.

    I believe the only parts added to the set were 2 red bands to hold
the head on.  5 of these were loose in the box, so I have enough to do
both of my sets.

I assume this is a book with every update to the set, as some pages
are the same as the ones that came in my original books.

If you have some red bands, the instructions below should help you
build your droid the "new way"

OR, A call to TLC will probably get you the booklet and the bands.

I have detailed what is new/changed on each page.

Page 47 is identical to the one in both of my books.  Probably a very
early update.  sorry but I don't know for sure what was changed.
Speculating I would say it's a clarification of how the 2
sub-assemblies attach together.

Pages 56-57 show how to change the area where the  head attaches,  but
as far as I can tell they just omitted a few parts for the new design.
I'm going to TRY to explain it :)

On Page 55 the parts needed for steps 13-1--- 13-9 are detailed.  what
you need to do are eliminate the following parts from that picture.
Very simple....

(3) dark gray 3/4 Technic pins
(2) #2 axle
(2) dark gray 1 x 3 liftarm
(2) dark gray perpendicular axle joiners

when the building steps on page 55 and 56 call for those parts, just
continue on without them.  (You'll see exactly what I mean when you do
it.)  You're basically leaving off a tiny sub-assembly that was behind
and just below the head attachment.

Pages 60, 61, 62, 64 and 69 are identical to the old except it shows
the new design in the head attachment area.  The same subassemblies
are built and installed in the same spots.

On Page 70   (2) red bands are used instead of the black ones.  They
attach to the same spots.

Page 77 is identical to the one in both of my books.  I'm guessing it
was another early update, to clarify exactly where/how the arms hook
on.

Page 84 is just a view of the entire Droid built the new way, the old
page 84 showed it the original way.

I haven't had time to rebuild the droid the new way to see if its
performance has improved.

Hope this helps!

Thomas