 Technic / 3135
Re: Four prop-plane engine (Was: Re: Another Technic Creation)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 27 Nov 2000 15:09:47 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Tobbe Arnesson writes:
lancaster

Despite my above average interest in WWII planes I could not picture
what the Lancaster looks like, so I went to www.airliners.net and
searched, they have a couple of photos if anyone else has the same
problem :)

Here is a good view of the wing/engine dismanteled:

http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=97134

Take a virtual tour of one in NZ:
http://www.kiwiaircraftimages.simplenet.com/lanc.html

I also found these:
http://www.oldgloryprints.com/Dambusters.htm
http://www.danshistory.com/ww2/britishb.html
http://homepage.virgin.net/dave.stapleton9/Gallery.htm
http://www.raafmuseum.com.au/research/aircraft/a2series/lancastr.htm

Scott A

SO out come the tape measure :-)

Alternatively, you could always buy an Airfix model to get the dimensions,
saving you a lot of boot leather :-)

Or Italery for that matter ,)

It's also great for looking how the details are made. Like the landing
gear. I thought the Hercules used a "folding" type of gear but it uses
huadralics (sp?) so I'm using penumatics.

I do have the problem of wiring the motors to the props, so far I have mange
the wings of the plane and four props. BUt they look bulky and not in the
style of these lancasters?, it's taking 4 old 9V motors and it is a hard,  I
can't think of another way of doing it?

Tobbe, who posts here, was also making another 4 engine prop plane (the new
version of the Hercules) so perhaps he'd have a comment to make here.

I'm building in 1:20 so the spacing problem does not exist. I do, how
ever, have another problem with the wing bending so much from it's own
weight that normal axles would be a problem. I'm thinking in the lines
of four engines or one engine per side and axles to "the other" prop.
The two engines on one side is rather close togheter.

Rubberband and/or chainlinks is also an alternative...

I'm tinkering with the fuselage at this point and has some hours left
before the prop-assembly. I want the wing to be flat until it's
attached to the fuselage (hanging on the wall). I only have 50 square
meters to live in, with my g/f and our two cats so there ain't much
room for a 2 x 1.5 meter airplane ,)

Perhaps I'll move the whole thing to my office where I have more space
to waste but I'm afrid that would affect my work output :)

BTW, if anyone has a lot of 1x16 beams in black send 'em over. This
will be a pretty colorful creation otherwise :) I ran out of black
during construction of the wing and fin. The fuselage is a mix of
different colors...

Some early shots:

I early noticed that this will have to be a skeleton work since my
LEGO collection is WAY to small to coat it... Another draw-back is the
fact it's so heavy any "good looking" wheel will look like it had a
flat, so I'm going for the 8462 TowTruck wheels...